Introducing the Spectrum SKILLZ Program!
This program is designed to target children on the spectrum for ages 7 and up. The program introduces specialized skill-based training meeting the physical, intellectual, social, and emotional needs for children on the autism spectrum. More emphasis is placed on building fundamental skills training with a strategic balance of Martial Arts.
By understanding the needs of these children, we have selected 8 skills that make up the Spectrum SKILLZ Program:
We cover one of the above skills per class (in order). During each class we run a warm-up; deliver a mat chat about the skill; run two or three skill-building drills; and then we have them demonstrate the skill to earn their skill-stripe. They must earn all 8 skill-stripes in order to graduate to the next belt level. Once they earn their next belt they will continue to run through all 8 skills earning their skill-stripes with more challenging curriculum as they advance to each rank. They graduate into one of the age-specific SKILLZ programs after they have successfully completed all 9 belt ranks of the program.
Here is an example of what a white belt must demonstrate for each of the 8 skills above in order to earn their next belt:
- AWARENESS – Duck under a noodle swung by an instructor 5 times.
- DETAILING – Demonstrate 10 punches applying proper hand position when striking a target.
- OBSERVING – Name 3 basic blocks as demonstrated by the instructor.
- LISTENING – Demonstrate 10 punches on a 70bpm metronome.
- COMMUNICATION – Explain how to do 1 of the basic blocks and strikes applying appropriate chambers.
- RETENTION – Demonstrate 3 basic blocks and strikes when called out by an instructor while applying proper hand position.
- DURABILITY – Demonstrating the static warm-ups by holding each position for 10 seconds.
- DETERMINATION – Demonstrate a palm strike breaking a board.
We take Martial Arts training to a whole new level! We use elements of traditional Martial Arts curriculums to build skills that are appropriate for children on the spectrum. This means that your child will learn and grow at a pace that is fun while being challenging enough to help foster development. The best part is the Spectrum SKILLZ program will equip your child with skills that they will utilize in every area of their life!